Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Look Book

By Soraya


 Towards the end of every month, I'm always searching through piles of mail my family gets in hopes of finding my fresh new set of catalogues (Anthropologie, J. Crew, Free People, Urban Outfitters, etc.) and my favorite magazine (Teen Vogue).  Catalogues and magazines are probably the most valuable sources of inspiration for me as far as putting outfits together.  I think that taking the time to put yourself on the mailing list for your favorite store's catalogue is a really great idea- it's FREE, you get a great preview of what's coming up next, and sometimes you can find special offers or discounts inside!  Investing about $10-20 on a fashion magazine such as Elle would also be very beneficial to keep up with the latest trends out there.



However, I have a really hard time just keeping my magazines intact.  I usually tear them to pieces the moment I'm done reading them.  Why?  Because I keep a 'Look Book'.  I've been doing this since the beginning of middle school.  In the book, I organize and keep cutouts I've accumulated from my magazines and catalogues.  Everytime I'm stuck in a rut, trying to figure out a new way to wear my favorite top or incorporate a new scarf into an outfit, I just pull out the book and BAM!  Outfit embodying that idea on page 12.  I introduced this idea to Julia and she started a book of her own soon after.  Through out the course of this blog, we'll be putting some pages from our books online.



It's simple to create a 'Look Book'.  The only things required are magazine clippings, glue (Elmer's Extra Strength Glue Stick works the best- keeps pages from crinkling unlike liquid glue and has a strong hold), scissors, and a notebook.  One of my favorite things to do on Sunday afternoons or free weeknights is gather up a fresh pile of magazines and work for hours on end on my book.  I'm a perfectionist, so I'm really careful with how I cut things out and whatnot, but I definitely get lost in the clothes when I'm putting pages together. 

What scrapbooking means for some people is definitely look-booking for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment